‘Heavenly Father, we come before you today to ask your forgiveness and to seek your direction and guidance.
- We know Your Word says, ‘Woe to those who call evil good,’ but that is exactly what we have done.
- We have lost our spiritual equilibrium and reversed our values.
- We have exploited the poor and called it the lottery.
- We have rewarded laziness and called it welfare.
- We have killed our unborn and called it choice.
- We have shot abortionists and called it justifiable.
- We have neglected to discipline our children and called it building self esteem.
- We have abused power and called it politics.
- We have coveted our neighbor’s possessions and called it ambition.
- We have polluted the air with profanity and pornography and called it freedom of expression.
- We have ridiculed the time-honored values of our forefathers and called it enlightenment.
Search us, Oh God, and know our hearts today; cleanse us from every sin and Set us free.
The “Prayer for Our Nation” piece reproduced above has in recent years come to be attributed to venerable evangelist the Rev. Billy Graham, and before that it was circulated as “Paul Harvey’s Prayer” (or “Paul Harvey’s On Air Prayer”). However, it was neither written nor first presented by either of those men.
This prayer burst into the public consciousness back in January of 1996, when the Rev. Joe Wright, senior pastor of the 2,500-member Central Christian Church in